Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Son Gip Sal










Tonight, as a relaxing escape from the week's hectic school schedule, Andy and I went out to a small restaurant for son gip sal, Korean barbeque. We were the only people in the place, aside from two patrons who apparently were friends with the owners, so it goes without saying that we were the only foreigners there. I felt mildly like an oddity.

In true Korean style, we were waiting on hand and foot: We were brought extra dishes or alternative vegetables if something was too spicy, which they noted all too quickly. Upon noticing its depletion, the owner brought out extra water, albiet incredulously, without having to be asked. The waitress even brought a stool for my purse so it wouldn't be on the ground. At times, the sheer volume of service was overwhelming; at one moment I literally thought the man was going to stand at my shoulder and tell me step-by-step how to eat the meal! The women they sat us by chimed in as well, pointing out when my scarf was on the floor, handing my hat back to me, and even offering me some of the barbeque from their table. I thought to myself throughout the evening that it had to be the most rediculously absurd dining experience I have yet had in Korea. Ridiculous or no, however, it was quite delicious--probably the best barbeque I've had this side of Texas!

Korean cuisine is known for its side dishes; and this meal had no lack of them. It's a good thing Andy and I were the only ones at our table--and that we didn't really have plates!--because by the end, there was no more room left! Just when I thought they had completely set the table for us, the waitress appeared at my elbow with still more sides. First, they brought out cabbage and carrots, a spicy fish paste dish, salt, some barbeque-like sauce, and kimchi soup. They also had boiled quail eggs, which I ate most of, and a super-spicy salad as sort of appetizers. I thought all that was enough, but if anything is true about Koreans, the food just keeps coming. When the meat came, they brought out cold kimchi, another kind of soup, rice bowls, and lettuce leaves to wrap the kalbi in. Noticing that I wasn't eating the salad, they also brought fried eggs as a milder option. I had nothing but options tonight! I commented to Andy that I couldn't figure out what to eat next. Meals like this should necessarily help me over the habit of eating one dish at a time.

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to hear someone describe your experience in Korea, it takes me back 54 years to my experiences, although much more primitive the hospitality was wonderful and it seems that it hasn’t changed since that time. Enjoy every minute and retain the memories for life.
    GPB

    ReplyDelete