Thursday, December 3, 2009

Celebrating with my Class




Friday, November 27 was a very special day. It was still Thanksgiving in the States, so as soon as awoke I called my dear, sweet, family and was able to talk with most of them and share in their celebration. As an extension of that, I had plans to bake sweet potato casserole (which turned into sweet potato pie!). My thought at first was to use this as my own private Thanksgiving, as a way to remember what my family must have tasted that day and relive past moments with them. What better way to show gratefullness for something than to share it? I couldn't keep something like that to myself--and I didn't really want to!--so I brought it to class to share with my Korean students.
The dish fit into my lesson plans quite well: I had planned to watch the part of Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving where Peppermint Patty gets upset at not having turkey and mashed potatoes for dinner. I thought this would be an excellent way to show them what she really meant. All my students could say in English was that it was "delicious," but if they could have said anything more, it probably would have still been positive. There was enough left for me to give a taste to some of my co-workers as well. "That tastes like Thanksgiving," Andy said. "I'll give you props for that." Judging by their reactions, I'd say the idea was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment