Thursday, December 17, 2009

Plans for Christmas

I heard a song for the first time tonight by Big Daddy Weave called "I'll Be Brave this Christmas." In it, the speaker (presumably a little boy) writes to his dad who is off at war. "I'll be brave this Christmas," he says, "while you're still so far away." If not having his dad home meant that another little boy could live in a free country, then he'd live through the sacrifice. I feel like I'm on the receiving end of that song: I am the one "still so far away." People in the States at least have reason now to sing that about me. It'll be my first Christmas away from my family. And yet, I can sing it to my loved ones because it's true for me, too. I want to be brave this Christmas because I won't get to see them this year. In an effort to be so courageous, I've decided to take a little trip for the holiday--all grown up and by myself.

More than a month ago, I was debating about what to do for Christmas week and came up with nothing. I thought about just staying here in Chungju and working because I didn't know enough about Korea to go anywhere and didn't want to travel by myself to another country. I had a friend whom I could stay with for the week, but I figured that was a dead end because I had gotten no confirmation from her. As long as I wouldn't be able to see my family, why not just stay and work? Over the last couple of weeks, however, the LORD has subtly expanded my horizons and opened possibilities for travel inside the country. As an early Christmas present, I'll get to see much more of Korea this next week.

Saturday the 19th starts my week-long "winter" break and as the hours count down, I'm gaining momentum for the trip. My friend Gwen, the rescuer of my luggage, finally contacted me and was able to plan a time for me to come visit her. Saturday will see me traveling by train to her hometown, Gwangju, a larger city on the southwestern turn of the peninsula--clear across country from me! As I'm from Texas, I don't see this as a problem. It'll take me roughly four or five hours to get there by train (perhaps comperable if I were to drive); it takes that long just to get from San Antonio to Houston, Waco, College Station, or McAllen, depending on your direction of choice. Since it's so close, I figure four or five hours will be time well spent. I'll spend a couple of days with my friend and maybe travel to the outer areas of Gwangju for a day. Then it's off to experience what Korean culture was really meant to be!

I found a place through the Web that is essentially what I'm seeking every time I stroll through the traditional market in Chungju. It's called Jeonju Hanok Village, a place where time-honored indigenous crafts are preserved for the curious tourist. If I had come to Korea looking for something, this would have been it: nothing I can find anywhere else on Earth, that which is unique to this people group. It's not a thing they stock on store shelves or wrap for surprises on Christmas. It's experiencing the way of life that these people have built and that Westernization and commercialization have certainly been built on. Hopefully, if I spend my time (and my money) in the right places, I'll get a chance to see some traditional calligraphy, pottery, bibinbob-making, and other artisan specialties while I'm there. I may even get some hands-on education about them! As a part of the whole experience, I'll even get to stay in a traditional room.

God has been so faithful to me these last few weeks. I'm so excited about my trip and am ever grateful for His mercies in allowing such pure enjoyment. What I have in front of me is nothing but a blessing from the Father of Lights. Scripture says in James that every good gift is from above and tonight, my heart resonates that truth. This trip is a good gift--and I'm eager to share it with you when I return! I stand amazed at how richly He continues to bless me.

No comments:

Post a Comment