Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sah Kyehjole: Fall

Seasons in Korea are quite distinct from any I have thus experienced stateside. The general climate of the region has often been described by foreigners as having a "switch." No sooner is one season in full swing when, as if by push-button magic, another is rolling its way in. Along with its quickly changing weather patterns, the country also promotes fast-forward life seasons; just as one settles into managing a new schedule, apartment, or friendship, news comes to upset the transient equilibrium so freshly created. With my one-year anniversary still fresh on my mind, I decided to celebrate my time here thus far with a look at the best each season in Korea has to offer.

***

Autumn: Kah-uhl 가을 2009

At the end of October last year, two weeks after my arrival, my then-director took me out for a nature walk around Woraksan National Park to view its famed fall foliage.

My director also liked to take me to outings on Sunday afternoons following church. On this day, he brought me to visit Jungnam Tap, the pagoda marking the spot believed to be the exact center of the Korean penninsula.

Here I am on a blistery November day, in thin hose and knee-length skirt without a proper coat, at the windiest place in Chungju, the Chungju Dam.

These were my co-workers at Learning Well (from L to R): my boss, Josh, and my two American teacher-friends, Andy and Brandon. They truly were a blessing!

Autumn: Kah-uhl 가을 2010


Apple Tree has many activity days for the kids, usually cooking "classes" designed for them to learn to follow directions in English. Here I am explaining how to make sweet peanut sauce, then sampling the kids' enthusiastic work. Some days, it really pays to be a teacher.

This is Rachel (left) and Betty (right), two of the smartest kids at the hagwon. Rachel has since moved on to learning opportunities better suited for her skill in English.



Dressing up in hanbok for fall's climactic celebration, Chuseok, students at the hagwon ushered in Korea's fall season with joy and thanksgiving for past traditions. Here I am with Annie in Korea's finery.


Here in Korea, they put turkey behind bars instead of on their plates. I found this rather hefty fella as we toured the grounds of an arboretum on a recent field trip.

This is K2: (L to R) Christine, Irene, Rachel, Julia, and Elena. I took over teaching them after Jack left in July. They are the smartest kids in our kindergarten and they've become so endearing to me.


This is Grace Teacher--one of my colleagues and my supervisor but especially a dear, sweet friend.

After the arboretum, our students had a chance to make funny, playful hats out of the colorful leaves we had collected. I sure couldn't have found leaves that purty in Texas!


I truly am thankful for all of the many blessings in my life this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment