Monday, October 18, 2010

Hana Yeon (하나 연)


view of Suwon-si at sunset,
as seen from the wall of Hwaseong Fortress


Anyanghaseyo! Happy Anniversary! A year ago today, on October 18, 2009, I stepped foot onto Korean soil for the first time, exhausted from the 13-hour trans-Pacific flight and the two-day journey to get here, yet in expectant anticipation of what the LORD would do in this brand-new place. I've seen God do amazing things in my life this past year--from providing for my needs at the hands of strangers, to convicting me about sin, to molding me into more of His image. I've come to a modest appreciation of a culture surrounding me that is vastly different from my own and feel as if I've "Koreanized" myself to a certain degree. I've also been privileged to meet amazing people throughout my stay, among them my dear former co-workers, Andy and Brandon, and a sweet new set of girlfriends.

My heart is full of the unfathomable, rich, abundant blessings of God tonight. I stand amazed at His love, for I am learning in this season that He truly delights in giving good gifts to His sons and daughters. For me, Korea has been a very good gift! The psalmist says in Scripture that the works of the LORD are uncountable; were I to recount each of His blessings, they would fill the entire space of my blog, with abundant excess. Instead of recalling each by name, I've collected a collage of images and memories from this past year to act as a testimony of all that the LORD has thus so richly brought me through. As I stand fully seven and a half months into my contract, with a future of uncertainties ahead, they serve as a grand reminder of what the Father has already accomplished.
* * * * *




In April, I was able to go home for my brother's wedding and the trip was more than what I could have imagined. Being with my family, and witnessing a new family being born, brought with it such unspeakable blessing.


Here, Holly is smiling with our dinner. As she, my friend Emily, and I adventured together in Busan over a national holiday in May, we decided to hit up the world-famous fish market. Guaranteed, there is no fresher seafood known to man!

This is Emily: We met for dinner in Itaewon at an authentic Korean restaurant during her last week in Korea. Though Korean, she grew up in China, lived in the Philippines for a year, moved to Korea for a year and a half, and in July moved to Texas to marry her long-distance sweetheart, Jon. God has been so faithful in her life and she has been such a bubbly blessing!
This is a group of girls I had the privilege of getting acquainted with in Seoul over the summer. The woman next to me, Krystal, is on her way around the world on a year-long missions trip to serve the hungry and the needy. I am truly blessed to call her my friend.

Just before the hagwon let out for summer vacation, we threw a barbeque to say goodbye to two of our teachers who would not be returning to school, Jack and Lena. The brewing vat was the baracho beans I brought back with me from Texas--to give our cook-out a little southern twang. They were such a hit and everyone wanted the recipe; I didn't have the heart to tell them I had cooked the beans from a dry mix only available in South Texas!

Say hello to Amanda. For my week-long summer vacation, the two of us ventured into Myeongdong, a traditional Korean marketplace in Seoul, for some shopping and sightseeing. Technically the two of met online via Facebook, but she has proved to be a very stable friend and I am thankful for the life-lessons she's taught me.

Though his surly expression belies it, this is my sweet boy, Frankie. He might get into catish mischief, but he keeps me company at night and has been a comforting blessing through his affection and sweetness. Like I tell him nightly, I truly am thankful for such a blessing!

This is Brandon and myself during one of our last excursions to Seoul. We found this cute tea "museum" off the beaten path a little in Insadong, more a tea house and shop than actual museum. He was someone I'm glad I got a chance to know.


This was the lovely woman Brandon and I had the privilege of Seoul-ing with that day, Krista. She is as adventurous, or dare I say more so, than I am and she loves to write. We've had a few misadventures of our own and it's interesting to hear her perspective on things.


My friend Becky and I decided on a whim to head up to Namsan Tower, renamed Seoul Tower by now, one sunny Sunday afternoon. It was relaxing and restful as we huffed and puffed up so many stairs. But the view the fellowship were worth it all!

As I wrote on Facebook, I went to "another Jason's wedding" this year: He's a Canadian friend of mine from Chungju who has been in Korea for five years now. He had been with his wife for three years before the wedding--and I am so happy that he married her!

Over the Chuseok holiday this fall, my friend Elizabeth and I got stuck in one of the subway stations because of a flood above-ground. It had rained throughout the month of September, making the ground a saturated spounge, and this particular day it had not stopped raining all day. Within an hour, however, Seoul's excellent drainage system cleared the water and we were all free to go.


A guest at church for our missions conference was selling saris to support her and her husband's mission work in India; knowing it was for a good cause, I bought one. The very next day I wore it to school and looked so different than normal that I was called "India girl" by the other foriegn teacher at work.


One day during my Chuseok holiday, I decided to venture on my own to the famed Fortress in Suwon. While crossing the street, I ran across these wonderful ladies (L to R: Rebecca, me, and Karen; not pictured, Adrian) who invited me to walk with them. It was a lovely outing which turned into amazing picture-taking!


The very next day after the hike, I met them in Seoul at the largest palace in Korea. If my brother Jason (who lived in China for a year) could visit the Forbidden City, at least I could do my best to see the best of Korea. And it was fabu-lous!

No comments:

Post a Comment