Saturday, November 7, 2009

Calling Home

This week, I've been able to call back home to San Antonio four times. When I told my co-worker that I had used my cell phone, he warned me that it would be $50 or $60. Though it hasn't been quite that expensive, at just under 15 cents a minute and $9 an hour, just hearing my loved ones' voices has been so worth the extra cost every time! Wednesday night my time (Wednesday morning CST), I was able to talk with my friend Heidi; Thursday morning I talked with my friend Ernesto; and today, Saturday morning, I had a chance to talk with mis abuelitos, my Grandma and Grandpa.

I didn't have a chance to tell my grandparents goodbye before I left the States. I just wanted to to tell them how sorry I felt and apologize for not telling them when I was leaving. My brother had had a going away party when he left the States a couple of years ago, but I had no such plan. I mentioned to my grandma that "we'd have to have an impromptu send-off paty when I left." As I was unsure of the final departure date until a few days before, things were last-minute at best. My grandpa called me the Saturday that I left, as I was 30 minutes away from flying out of the country, to ask what I was up to.

"I'm in Los Angeles," I said, "getting ready to board the plane."

"Well, thanks for letting us know!"

I felt like a bit of a heel after that. Here were two people (not to mention the others in my family that I didn't get to see) that were so supportive of my decision--and I didn't even see before I left! I felt so bad about it that I thought about taking an early trip back home just to see them. My grandpa reassured me this morning. He said they could dwell on the regrets of those moments, "but the Lord knew the events of that week, too." My grandma was also understanding. "You were very busy those last few days," she told me.

After they said those things, I felt so released, like it was okay for me to enjoy myself here. I didn't feel the need to come back so soon, as if things were already set right. Being proud of me for going far outweighed any regrets that they had about me leaving.

My grandpa was so encouraging this morning! I've never heard him speak about Christ as passionately or as heavy with conviction as he did tday. He said that he tells people that he can see God's hand in me being over in Korea; he knows that the LORD will protect me and provide for me as I'm here. I started crying during the conversation from sheer surprise--I hadn't expected to be so encouraged. God surely brings His word and His encouragement from such amazing places!

No comments:

Post a Comment