Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Full Circle

I was listening to KLove last night as I sat working on a blog post in my apartment. I had been tuned into the American radio station off and on throughout the day while doing chores, home due to Korea's Independence Day, Samil.

Around eight that night--five a.m., Central Standard Time--the morning show hosts took the air and issued a challenge to their listeners: As it was bright and early on the first day of March 2011, there must be some people out there having anxiously anticipated this day for a long time--some, perhaps, their whole lives. They referenced a young man in Tennessee (Kentucky?) named Tyler who would soon be taking the entrance exam for med school, and later this week marrying the love of his life. What, the co-hosts wondered, have you been waiting for?

After it was said, I thought nothing of the question and went back to blogging. This morning, however, was another matter. You see, I have been waiting: waiting to finish what began on August 1, 2009. That was the day the LORD put the word "challenge" on my heart, and effectively started this journey to South Korea. Six months later, after a devastating loss less than half-way through my first job offer, something else was started. And today marks its end.

One year ago today, I wore brown stockings just like I am now. I had a freshly cut 'do styled similar to the one I had done last week. I was also wearing blue long sleeves--belonging to my denim dress rather than the turtleneck I currently have on. I quietly cried through our school-wide tour, overwhelmed at yet another change in my life in just a few short months. One year ago today, I began my second year-long contract.

Much has changed in the Land of the Morning Calm in the time the Earth took to make its annual circuit around the sun. I've seen a total of three directors assume the role of headmaster, the final one taking control only as of January. I've also witnessed six full-time teachers quit, finish contracts, or be let go due to downsizing and economic loss. Standing with them at the ever-revolving elevator door of our fifth floor hagwon, have been four office staff members and half a dozen bus drivers--to let alone the growing number of students to leave our school.

I've also seen my share of financial ups and downs this year. Frustrated with the run-around I was getting from management several months ago, I wrote to my former colleagues, Andy and Brandon, about the problem. "I don't really know what's going on," I told them through Facebook. "The more I think about how matters stand, the more I don't want to sign up for another round."

Yet even in my frustration, it was clear I would stay to the end. Come what may, I had given my word--and a promise is a promise, no matter the circumstance. But above honor, I knew it was right in the eyes of the LORD to suffer for doing good (ref. I Pet. 2:20). "I have enough saved for a ticket home were it to come to that," I told the guys, "but I would really like to finish one of the two contracts I signed this year."

Others were also witness to my persistence. "I have to finish what James and I started ten months ago," I told Grace Teacher rigidly, as we faced yet more adjustments to schedules and policies earlier in January. I couldn't give up when I was so close!

Slowly, steadily, this day has crept into view, furthered along by two national holidays, yet more students leaving, and--the crowning joy--K-2's energetic, timely graduation last Friday morning. At the close of the day, nothing more is certain for the future of the hagwon but my continued presence in it, for as long as Jesus would have me stay there.

"What day is today?" I asked James tonight over the phone.

"Today is Wednesday."

No, no. He was thinking about the question wrong. "What date is it today?"

Contemplating the inquiry more deeply, he ventured another guess. "Today is Wednesday, March second."

I just knew he would piece it together this time. "So what day is it?" I asked expectantly. The voice in my head screamed out the date, even as recognition of its significance escaped my teacher-friend.

After a pause devoid of the answer I sought, I kept going. "We finished, James. We made it to contract!"

Yes, indeed, James Teacher, we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment