Thursday, October 29, 2009

How I Came to be in Korea, Part 1

I can see the LORD's hand in the way that He has brought me thus far, from San Antonio to Chungju, South Korea. I have the story posted on Facebook in a series of notes, but I thought it would be valuable to publish it in one central place.

Originally posted to Facebook, Saturday, August 22, 2009:

As some of you know, I am starting a new leg of my life journey soon. I may be on my way across the world in as little as one to two months. I feel like the LORD is moving me forward and I can't wait! As my dad has said, "I don't know the future, but I know the One who holds the future."

I had been living with some wonderful girls from Xtreme Teams International for the last eight or nine months, but I really felt that God was leading me somewhere besides just there. We discussed things and decided for me to leave by the first of September. At this same time, a recruiting agency contacted me via email about applying to their program to be an ESL teacher.

When I read the email, I started crying. "Lord," I prayed, "could this be what You want?" I have wanted to teach English as a second language for many years--since before 2005. But I was so overwhelmed at trying to find an agency or a mode of getting over there. When this agency contacted me, I thought the least I could do is to give it a try. Within two weeks, I got an interview with them and they have set me up with a placement coordinator who will help me find a job.

Many things in my life right now are conducive to me picking up and relocating. I have an older car that could be given away/sold. I don't have rent or a contract that has to be kept or renewed. I don't have much stuff. Either I could store it all, have people borrow it, or give it away. My parents have also been talking about relocating. If they leave, then it gives me more reason pursue international employment. It's an exciting time for me because I feel like I don't have many attachments and the time is ripe.

All that remains for me to do aside from packing is getting my forms and documents in order. Once that is complete, I can then be considered for a job. The recruiting agency has jobs that are available, but they will not start recommending me for them until the documents come in. This could take up to a month. Once I am recommended for a job and have an employer as a sponsor, I can apply for a working visa. Provided that everything goes smoothly, I may be in Korea within two months.

I will continue to be on Facebook and will post stories and pictures whenever I can. I am so excited to go and have this great adventure! I will keep you guys updated and look forward to hearing from each of you. Keep me in your prayers.

In Christ,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment